Sunday, October 28, 2012

Feelin' Groovy Jammin' Sax with the Neighbors

I want to thank you all for giving my blog a reading and being there for me and encouraging me to continue working on the sax, Lucy and I really appreciate it a lot.  If you could recommend this blog to others, that would be great too, because there's probably a lot of people, especially young people and teens, who could use a little encouragement from someone who's tried to figure things out.

I also want to share a really cool thing with you that's been happening a few times, and hopefully it'll make you grin too.  Might even get you to support the local bands too at Open Mics, because every Rolling Stone was originally a Tipping Pebble.

My neighborhood's pretty quiet, and the neighbors tend to keep to themselves.  But there are times when they come out and do stuff, like walk around, drive around, or visit each other.  We don't do that very often around here because we're all so diverse but still so regular, y'know?

So far in the past couple months of practicing with Lucy on the front porch outside the house (my folks that I'm helping with things live in a modified single-wide, which is essentially a furnished metal tunnel that has excellent acoustic-carrying capabilities, and since Dad watches TV a lot -- mostly sports -- and since the sax is loud, well, I have to play outside.  However, I can't really complain because the porch has a roof overhang which comes in handy), quite a few neighbors have passed by or stopped by and offered a "that's awesome!"

In fact, last week a guy who just roams the neighborhood was passing by as I was finishing up playing one song and preparing to play another, said, "Don't stop on my account, that's good stuff!"  And today I think I had just finished playing "Heart" and a car that was driving around the corner rolled down her window, gave me a thumbs-up and yelled, "good job!"

Sometimes, it's the little things that keep us artists -- be it musical, pictorial, or literary -- going day after day, even if there's not much chance right then for fame and fortune.  A mere acknowledgement of effort can be all it takes between going big or packing it up.  If you happen to know someone, a friend or a neighbor or even a stranger at a city event, who is doing their thing, why not give them a listen, groove with them, hell even talk to them between songs or sets.  We're not going to bite your head off and if anything, it'll help us finish the set with a bang.

Just thinking.  Hope your week goes with praise.  Support the arts, because you listen to the radio, go to the theater/theatre, or enjoy a good novel.

Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment