Monday, October 29, 2012

Sax Stew for the Soul

Okay, so I've been a little quiet lately, and I'm sure you're wanting some updates, so I thought I'd be happy to oblige.  That whole "careful what you wish for" thing, except it won't void your warranty (pretty sure, at least, but don't quote me on that, 'kay?)  Please know I've been keeping busy planning my revenge on the dust bunnies.  Wait.  No.  Actually, the dust bunnies have been behaving lately, so none of that.

Anyhoo.  How's the weather in your neck of the woods?  If you're in the Northeast, hope you manage to stay in one piece.  If you're anywhere else, you're missing the hurricane parties.

I realized yesterday something amazing.  One of the biggest problems I've had with Lucy is she hits puberty on some notes, and I have been having one helluva time trying to figure out why she also sticks on high notes when my fingering drops an octave between notes.  Turns out that my embouchure hadn't been changing properly enough to change the air pressure going through the mouthpiece and reed, so as far as Lucy knew I was still an octave higher.

Now the embouchure rolls smooth, and transitions so intuitively that I really don't think about it anymore.  It sounds crazy, I know, but trust me.  One day the other week it just clicked, and now I don't even have that problem unless my posture's wrong or I use my stomach instead of my diaphragm.

I have decided to pursue the self-published album through CD Baby, not just singles, and this one is for children's ditties called "Playground Jazz".  It should have about 10 tracks, including one of my own making, and it's sax solo.  I'm sure it would go well if someone wanted to mix it with other instruments, which would be fine after they bought the album, but I've heard my playing from a media program and it sounds pretty decent.  But then again that was back in July, so being a few months' more practice, I can't begin to imagine.

Today's practice went really well.  In fact, it went so well that my yard was covered in squirrels and morning doves (and I think there might have been a cardinal or two), just pecking away at the seeds in the grass and grooving and having an awesome time.  It's a good sign when you're not only surrounded by animals that are happy, but last month I had a hummingbird fly up to me about two feet from my sax while I was playing, just checking out this strange noisy thing and hovering for a couple seconds before flying off.

For some reason, Linkin Park is having a little trouble, but I remembered every part of "Sara" except the Coda.  That's not bad, considering I haven't played "Sara" in about two weeks.  Plus, the other advantage to a sax is you can practice the fingering without having to use your breath... just stand like you normally do, have the mouthpiece in your mouth, and just practice like you normally would but without playing.  Great for muscle memory.

So that's where I'm at in things, I hope to have more good stuff tomorrow.  Thanks again to everyone who gave my last post a look-see, and if you didn't yet please do.  Hell, recommend this blog to other musicians, especially the ones who are kids looking for encouragement from others who have been there or are close to figuring things out.  Whatever you decide to do, you support the arts, so thank you!

Okay, gotta get some dinner, but it's always great to see you.  Take care and please be safe, there's a lot of nutty stuff going on in the world and we still need you here at the helm.

Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment